King tiger pro version question

jeman
Corporal

King tiger pro version question

Post by jeman »

Hi all.....looking at one of these on Fleebay and it's says it has metal tracks and gearboxes. Does it have the metal drive wheel also ? And are the bits ( sorry for the poor wording) that hold the wheels to the chassis made from metal...
Cheers
Mark
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: King tiger pro version question

Post by dgsselkirk »

Yes, as far as I know, metal tracks, metal gearboxes (although they are just pot metal gearboxes) ,metal sprockets and idlers. They are just plastic mounts but are pretty robust. I had one for 3 years running regular and never had an issue. Mind you I had really good Walterson gearboxes with 480 motors in it... If I had to do it again I would probably have run it till I blew up the stock gear and then did the upgrades... :D :D
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
jeman
Corporal

Post by jeman »

Cheers....I was thinking of getting metal wheels for it also, but do you think the plastic mounts will be ok are can you get metal ones ? I would like to strengthen the chassis as well.......can these be done
Sorry for all the questions guys
Cheers
Mark
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

For me personally, unless it is a metal hull I am quite happy with plastic road wheels and plastic arms as well. Take a look at lots of the builds on here and you will see different methods of strengthening the hull including my method of resin fill.

That's what the forum is for asking lots of questions! :-)
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

The Plastic road wheel arms are not styrene and quite robust. The main thing is to keep very fine sand or dirt from getting into the arms where the road wheels are mounted as it will grind away at the plastic. I've had good luck stopping this by puffing in graphite powder like that used to keep car door locks from freezing up. It acts like a lube but will not effect the plastic or cause fine dirt to be drawn in like any liquid or grease would.
CHIEFSONN
Lance Corporal

Post by CHIEFSONN »

What do you mean : I've had good luck stopping this by puffing in graphite powder like that used to keep car door locks from freezing up.
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

I use it too. It's like a fine dust that comes in a tube and is a bit of a pain to apply as when you squeeze the tube the very fine graphite powder comes blowing out pretty good! I think that is what he means by "puffing" But once it's on the axles and in the wheels it works really well and like greengiant says it is not like a grease that will attract dust and dirt....

sorry Greengiant if I stepped on your toes and answered out of turn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Any form of 'dry-lube'
The graphite powder lube has been around since I can remember & is a lot better in certain applications than traditional wet lubricants.
The reduction in attracting abrasive compounds is the first plus.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jeman
Corporal

Post by jeman »

Cheers for the info guys......I really want the tank to be a fair weight, so adding the metal wheels should really help. I've had a look through the sections but struggling to find posts on strengthening the chassis......I'll keep searching ......any links would be great :)
Cheers
Mark
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

I bought one of the Taigen versions you're looking at, nice starting point!

Return to “King Tiger”