Afrika Korps vehicle color

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Saxondog
Captain

Afrika Korps vehicle color

Post by Saxondog »

On FEB.14TH 1941 Units of the German Afrika Korps arrived in North Africa, and based on the date their equipment,all military vehicle would have been painted DARK GRAY(Dunkelgrau) and my question is of course was the Afrika korps vehicles painted desert tan prior to their deployment or did they fight in Dark Gray vehicles?

I know little of these units or how their equipment was prepared or serviced once in Afrika, even their uniforms are in question for me as I have just begun to learn about this fine fighting force so wasted by the leadership in Berlin and Rome.

Saxondog
tankmad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Afrika Korps vehicle color

Post by tankmad »

AS far as I was aware most of the armour was painted dark yellow remember this was also the colour for the base coat for other camo schemes here is a picture of one I done I weathered the photo to make it look more authentic.
Stevie

Saxondog
Captain

Re: Afrika Korps vehicle color

Post by Saxondog »

Below is a reference to Afrika units being painted differently than the standard Dark Gray which did not change to tan until Feb,1943 for all German Military Vehicles. My curiosity about the Afrika Korps vehicle colors were two fold,First did they repaint over the Dark Gray prior to being sent too North Africa or did they paint the Vehicles once in North Africa which does not make much sense?

Also the Afrika Korps were an elite desert warfare division,so were they establish prior to the outbreak of war and trained for desert combat or just organized from existing units of the WEHRMACHT HEER and organized,as DEUTSCHES AFRIKAKORPS equipped and painted for that military effort? The entire operation was unique in equipment,uniforms,and insignia.

All that had to take time,so when did the idea or plan start? Not meaning to be obstinate,I am simply curious to learn about this force. Thanks Blake

France - 1940
Russia - 1941-1943
After Poland, the "correct" national insignia design was finalized, being an open white cross, with no black authorized for either a border or the centre of markings. The size varied from vehicle to vehicle, but on the Panzer III and IV was about 10" or 25 cm tall. This insignia remained the authorized national insignia until the change from dark grey vehicle paint to dark yellow in 1943, and was the national insignia that Grossdeutschland vehicles were supposed to have in France in 1940 and also Russia from 1941 on.

Russia - 1943-1945
In 1943, all new German vehicles were produced in a base colour referred to variously as Dark Yellow or Ordnance Tan. Many older vehicles were painted in the new camouflage colour as well. The standard German Balkankreuz was again modified (as it had been on the light coloured vehicles used in Africa from 1941 on) by painting the centre of the crosses black.

Variations

Return to “General Discussion”